Sunday, April 28, 2013

'Where Did We Go Wrong?' by Monica Mathis-Stowe

'Where Did We Go Wrong?' by Monica Mathis-Stowe, “Best friends Gabby, Maxine and Joy protect each other at all costs, even if it means keeping secrets that turn their lives upside down. Gabby has no boundaries when it comes to getting what she wants. She pulls out every trick in the book to keep her daughter’s married father out of their lives but keep his money in her bank account…Maxine lives for her family but when her husband’s excessive spending lands them in more debt than they can handle, the stress takes a toll on their perfect marriage. After Joy’s loyalty to her controlling mother causes her to lose the only man she’s ever loved, she marries a man she barely knows. After her wedding, she quickly realizes that she made the biggest mistake of her life and it puts everybody she loves in danger. Unfortunately, someone will have to pay the ultimate price with their life.”

When I began reading Monica Mathis-Stowe’s Where Did We Go Wrong?, I wasn’t sure where the story was going to go. Silently, I was hoping that this wouldn’t be another drama filled Street Lit book filled with self-absorbed women and drug dealers that took no prisoners and lived the high life. I was pleasantly surprised.

Where Did We Go Wrong? is full of drama…crazy drama. Just when you think that the story couldn’t get any more drama-filled, another situation presents itself which compliments the plot perfectly.

Mrs. Mathis-Stowe takes her readers on a journey into the lives of best friends Gabby, Maxine and Joy…three women that forged a lifelong friendship under unlikely circumstances. However opposite the personalities of the characters portrayed, Mrs. Mathis-Stowe weaves a tale that works under the worst of circumstances.

The story can be construed as being a bit over the top in some circles, but for my personal taste, the story was so on-point with character development and dialogue. The editing job done was superior by far in contrast to other books that I have read.

I truly enjoyed reading this book because in all honesty, if I had to review one more book with a thug who drives the hottest whip, had money to burn like crazy and has a penis the size of a Sequoia tree, I would have to slit my wrists and call it a day.

Mrs. Mathis-Stowe shows that sometimes, the bond between women can survive the worst of circumstances. My hats off to Monica for putting out a story that I would gladly read again, and I am looking forward to her next book!

The Examiner: There's a saying among certain types of writers that goes, "There is a story behind the story." If this is true, what is the story behind "Where Did We Go Wrong?"

MMS: First, let me answer by saying Where Did We Go Wrong? is pure fiction. It's a result of my overactive imagination and curiosity about drama in relationships among families, lovers, friends, and colleagues. The relationships I have with my girlfriends inspired me to write this book. I wanted to tell a story about everyday women going through issues and difficulties in their lives and how their girlfriends helped them through it. I read so many novels and hear about reality shows that focus on creating chaos and conflict between women and that’s not good. I wrote this book to show the positive side of true friendship between women while also taking the readers on a roller-coaster ride of emotions that will make them laugh, cry, gasp, think, and question people and their actions.

The Examiner: Every author has personality traits that he/she likes and dislikes about the characters that they create. Can you briefly describe the ones that evoke the most emotion from you regarding the characters Joy, Maxine and Gabby?

MMS: I definitely have a love hate relationship with each one of these characters. Joy is strong, beautiful, and street smart, but she let her overbearing mother control her which caused her life to go in a direction she didn't plan. I could relate to her the most because when I was younger, I let people I cared about dictate my actions and listened without doubt to their opinions. Like Joy, I had to grow up and realize that this is my life and I have to live it on my terms, even if it meant hurting someone's feelings. Because of that connection with Joy, she was the easiest to write for.

Maxine, on the other hand, was the hardest to write for. She was a people pleaser, passive, and lived for her family. She was so naïve, she thought accepting her husband's abuse toward her was part of her wifely duties. I cried more when writing for Maxine than any of the other characters because I knew her pain. I've never been physically abused by anyone, but I know plenty of women who've been through it. And some of them, like Maxine, stayed in an abusive relationship because they thought that's what you're supposed to do when you love someone.

Of the three characters, I had the most fun writing for Gabby. I could be as mean, ruthless, and cutthroat as I wanted to be. There was no holding back with her. I loved how aggressive she was and how she always had a plan in place to get what she wanted. I didn't like how she used people and hurt them without a care in the world. Although she was a horrible human being, she was always a good friend to Maxine and Joy. No matter what, she had their backs and would protect them even if it meant putting her life in danger.

The Examiner: What ways do you "Pay it Forward" in the writing community?

MMS: I thought speaking to young ladies in writing groups at my local public schools was my way of "Paying it Forward" but it has been more rewarding for me than I could've ever imagined. These young ladies have the confidence, drive, and determination to succeed. They are true examples of not letting your circumstances and environment limit you. Every time I leave a school, I'm inspired and can’t wait to return. I'm also in the process of submitting a proposal to my local library to offer a free monthly workshop for inspiring authors on how to release their inner story and become a published author.

The Examiner: What is your summer touring schedule going to be like and where can our readers obtain your work?

MMS: We're in the process of finalizing my summer book tour. It will be posted on my website at www.MonicaMathisStowe.com within the next week or two. In the meantime, readers can purchase my books on Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Books a Million. If you don't see my books on the shelf at your local bookstore, ask a clerk to order it for you.

The Examiner: What is next for Monica Mathis-Stowe?

MMS: In January, I released the sequel, Where Did We Go Wrong Again? I've been busy promoting it while writing my next novel, The Firefighters' Wives.

My goal with every story I write is to create characters readers can relate to. I want you to understand their pain, feel their joy and learn from their mistakes. But most of all, I want everyone who reads a novel by Monica Mathis-Stowe to close the book and feel like they've just watched a good movie and hated that it had to end.

~ J.L. Whitehead

'Where Did We Go Wrong?' by Monica Mathis-Stowe Rating: 4.5 Diposkan Oleh: SEO Tool Blogs

0 comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List